*Please note that the wheels do not come with tyres fitted. The 25mm Continental Competition tyres are mounted for the pictures*.
BORG50T rims are 700c, 23.8mm wide and 50mm deep. Weight is 370g! The more rounded profile of these rims means they will not be caught by side winds as much as a narrower V shaped rim. The reason for not going for a 25mm wide rim is simply you will be restricted to 25mm wide tubs or wider which is restrictive. The rims should be fitted with 23mm wide tubs or wider.
The rims themselves have a brake track that uses high Tg resins and that work well with the pads I supply which are Campagnolo carbon pads (red) for shimano or campagnolo pattern brakes. While we can't change physics - carbon rims do not dissipate heat as well as metal rims - the high Tg resins do mean heat up build does not pose an issue (except in the most extreme circumstances).
Why tubular wheels. Well tubular tyres can offer increased comfort and are generally more puncture resistant to there clincher equivalents. If riding steep descents with lots of braking carbon tubular rims will heat up as much but the tyre is not trying to blow the rim apart neither will the tube burst as is enclosed within the tyre carcass thus insulating from that heat buildup. Tubular wheels are not just race day wheels. They are far more than that. Also if you do puncture and you have glued the tyre on properly you will not loose the tyre and thus will retain some grip until you are able to stop the bike.
Spokes used are black sapim CX-ray with black hubs and silver with silver hubs. silver alloy nipples are used.
The hubs on offer are the usual selection from The Cycle Clinic.
1) Miche Primato - wheel set weight 1370g big bearings that last, steel axle, bearing preload adjusters, Shimano 11 speed freehub or Campagnolo freehub. A robust all weather hubset.
2) Carbon Ti hubs - wheelset weight 1170g. Light weight hubs that come in anodised colours. Matching sapim coloured nipples are used (well the colour may not be an exact match but it is close) and carbon Ti skewers (weight 39g) these Q/R's have titanium axles and levers are supplied. Coloured hubs are special order so extra time maybe needed to fufill this order. These hubs use 6903/6803 bearings in the rear hubs, 17mm axles, 4 pawl freehubs and they have bearing preload adjustment. Simple light and reliable hubs. You will need to notify me if a coloured hub is desired otherwise I will assume black.
Colour options with carbon Ti hubs;
Campagnolo Carbon brake pads (BO500 or BO500X1) are supplied with these wheels. Choose from the shimano or Campagnolo variant.
The Cycle Clinic is now a stockist of Dugast tubular tyres for road or CX. You can opt for these to be glued onto your wheels as well.
- An aerodynamic wheelset front and rear.
- Miche Q/R skewers for Miche hubs and Carbon Ti Q/R for Carbon Ti hubs.
- 25mm Continental Competition tubular tyres glued on if you opt for that.
- Campagnolo carbon brake pads in shimano or campagnolo form.
- The best guarantee (for the life of the rim against spoke failure and anything that could be termed a defect) i.e. problems fixed at my cost not yours
- Crash replacement at cost of parts only no labour.