The BORG45 Disc wheelset is reliable aerodynamic wheelset which will allow you to ride a bit quicker for the same effort. Drag reduction comes from the depth of the rim but also the width keeping the tyre width around the width of the rim.
In addition the profile of the rims and the rim tyre interface results in stable handling in windy condtions. Well as stable as you would be on shallow rimmed wheels.
The rims are 26mm wide (19mm internal width) 45mm deep disc brake specific wheelset for real tyre widths of a minimum of 25mm. IRC Formula Pro RBCC or X-Guard 25mm are suggested as these sit at 25mm on these rims. The 28mm tyres are again 28mm wide. The Continental GP5000TL 25mm tyre is 26mm wide and the 28mm tyres is about 29mm wide. So tyres that sit 25mm to 28mm wide are aerodymanically optimal for this rim. Max suggested max tyre width is in the region of 40mm width.
Wider rims are not currently offered as these are meant for wider tyres. For example a rims that are 21mm internal width are meant for 32mm tyres or wider (ideally wider). Narrower is aerodynamically faster no matter how you try and contort physics.
These are Light, stiff, aerodynamic wheels that got a best value award in Cycling Weekly. The wheels are hand built by me (Malcolm Borg) in Suffolk, U.K. These wheels are built with specially selected parts for high miles and to help you ride faster too.
The logo is not a decal and cannot be removed. It is in gloss black so look carefully at the photo's. Once you see the rims and feel the logo finish you'll appreciate the wheels even more.
The wheels can be built for the Cannondale 6mm offset. One of Cannondales gravel bikes uses this standard.
They are very stiff and therefore feel responsive and spoke life will be very long.
The rims have the ideal profile for making them very stable in cross winds, and your tyres will have an optimal shape.
- 26.2mm max width
- 45mm deep
- 19mm internal mm internal width
- Aerodynamic profile
- Sapim CX-ray spokes
- Shimano8/9/10/11 speed , Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed or AXS 12 speed (XDR) cassette compatibility
- 700c/622mm wheel size
- 100/135mm Q/R or 100x12/15mm/142x12mm TA
- Tubeless ready (tubed clincher tyre compatible also).
- 24F/24R spoke count
- BORG DX hubs or Carbon Ti X-hub (centrelock)
- Weight 1500g (carbon Ti hubs) 1610g (BORG DX hubs)
- 10000 mile (16000km) or 5 year guarantee against spoke/nipple failure.
- Centrelock rotor compatibility.
- Centrelock disc brake mounts. 6 bolt adapter available here.
- Lockring for 15mm axled hubs must be used. Centrelock rotor lockring available here.
Let me know which axle standard combination you need at checkout.
Please state at checkout.
100*12/142*12mm for Cannondale (Ai) 6mm offset bikes.
The wheels will stand up to road, CX or gravel use.
Spoke count is 24 front and rear.
Sapim CX-ray spokes in black are used with alloy nipples that match the colour of the hubs. Silver spokes can be used with the Carbon Ti coloured hubs.
There are two hubsets available.
1) BORG DX with centrelock rotor mounts:
Q/R, 100x12/15mm and 142x12mm compatible in any combination. Just tell me at checkout what you need.
6 bolt adapters made by Miche are available. The rear hub is supplied with a Shimano external spline lockring. Freehub bodies for Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed MTB or road, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed, and SRAM XD driver are available and are interchangeable with nothing more than possible bearing preload adjustment.
The freehub has a titanium core/pawl seat springs with an aluminum alloy main body. The freehub has 3 spring loaded pawls and a 30T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Slick or Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop any water ingress weakening the spring.
Why BORG DX hubs? Well, I have had Miche make these in 24H, 28H, and 32H drillings. They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The bearings are not the normal ISO grade 0 or ABEC-5 (enduro) that you find in many hubs even high-end ones. SKF supply the bearings for the BORG DX hub but these bearings have much tighter tolerances on the outer and inner diameters, the seals, the balls are to a much higher standard, even the grease is a special formulation. All this is designed to increase bearing longevity particular in wet weather operation. To get the longest life, pressure washing the hubs should be avoided and the cassette should be cleaned removed from the hub. The front hub has 2x 6803 bearings and the rear hub has 1x 6803 non-drive side and 2x 6803 drive side. The freehub body has 2x 6803 bearing. The same high-grade bearings are used throughout the hub. All spares down to the ratchet ring are available. Simply I have had these hubs made without compromise.
2) Carbon Ti disc brake hubs for centrelock rotors. Available in a choice of colours. Black, red, blue, green, gold or silver. Black hubs will be assumed unless you tell me otherwise. The hubs are available 4 pawl freehubs. Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11 speed or SRAM XD 11/12 speed.
The hubs come with Q/R end caps (Carbon Ti skewers can be purchased separately) or 100x12mm, 100x15mm or 142x12mm thru axle options. Conversion kits are available too. Carbon Ti thru axles are available as well. Let me know which axle standard you need and I will convert.
100x12mm/142x12mm will be assumed if you don't specify.
Simply high end wheels without the high-end price tag (nearly).
The weight of the 45mm deep wheels with Miche hubs 1560g
The weight of the 45mm deep wheels with Carbon Ti hubs 1450g
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too, and if you buy tyres of this shop I will fit them and set them up with Maxalami Sealant. Please note if you buy tubed tyres buy tubes also. Below are links to the tubeless tyres and IRC tubed tyres stocked.
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite Pro Dry clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with tinner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
The wheels are supplied tubeless ready too with tape, valves and IRC tyre levers. tubed tyres can be used as well.
You see why I have not put tyres into the listing. If tyres are bought I will fit them although you will need to buy the tubes with clinchers.
A review from cycling. You'll like them too.
What you get:
- 24F/24R spoke count wheelset
- out of the box 100x12/15mm/1412x12mm compatability
- Q/R compatibility on request
- Tubeless tyre ready (tape black tubeless valves and IRC tyre levers)
- Shimano, Campagnolo or XD driver
- 10,000 mile/16000km guarantee against spoke failures and other fatigue failures.
See my notes on how to avoid freehub body notching
If the rim cracks (spoke holes) then that is a warranty (none have yet)
If a spoke breaks without external damage as a cause or the wheel goes out of true then that is a warranty.
If a fault with the hub appears that is is not bearing wear then that is a warranty.
I rely on honesty so if the damage is related to impact then I will fix the wheel as the cost of the parts alone.
Other thing to buy with this wheelset
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-2 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used.
- Rims are sent by courier only cost £10. Next working day service with Parcel Force. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by Parcel Force.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service. a surcharge
Due to the disruption in postal service, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with UPS/Parcelfocre shipping, weight and destination affect price. So the following applies.
UPS is apply a £5 surcharge to all parcel picked up from 1st November to 1st January. This cost is passed onto you.
E.U countries that I ship to regularly.
Parcel Force shipping is used for a number of European countries. The price is the same for up 25kg. There is not a small parcel rate with Parcel Force. If your country is one of those then checkout is simple.Just checkout and pay. Parcel force offer a road freight service to most of Europe and it takes 2 to 5 days depending on the destination. UPS is also available on request.
Other E.U nations/outside EU customers a will see UPS rates.
However if the rate maybe wrong and the UPS rates assume a small E2 jiffy bag suitable for many small items. This if course does not apply for bigger items or multiples purchases. Quotes are available. Simply registering the website with you address e.t.c and I will provide full quote.
Therefore contact the shop for a shipping quote. Your registered shipping address will used for the UPS quote.
VAT will be removed as well and a new invoice issued. If payment has already been made a refund for excess payment will be issued.
For outside E.U customers the following applies. The order value is with VAT. VAT is 20% so order total for the parts/6 = VAT amount.
Then add the UPS shipping amount. The true amount may differ. the VAT is used if you have under paid if more is due then we will let you know. If you have over paid I will work out what and refund you.