The BORG45 Disc wheelset is reliable aerodynamic wheelset which will allow you to ride a bit quicker for the same effort. Drag reduction comes from the depth but also the width as the width of the rim is matched to the tyres you use.
In adition the profile of the rims and the rim tyre interface results in stable handling in windy condtions. Well as stable as you would be on shallow rimmed wheels.
The BORG 45 Disc comes in two flavours. This listing is for the 26mm wide rimmed version. The 29mm wide rimmed version is here.
1) 26mm wide (18.5mm internal width) 45mm deep disc brake specific wheelset for 25mm tyres. Tyres should not sit wider than the rim for the best aerodynamic performance.
2) 29mm wide (21mm internal width) 45mm deep disc brake specific wheelset for 28mm tyres. Wider tyres can of course be fitted (up to 40mm) but the wider tyres, the worse the aerodynamic performance.
These are Light, stiff, aerodynamic wheels that got a best value award in Cycling Weekly. The wheels are hand built by me (Malcolm Borg) in Suffolk, U.K. These wheels are built with specially selected parts for high miles and to help you ride faster too.
The logo is not a decal and cannot be removed. It is in gloss black so look carefully at the photo's. Once you see the rims and feel the logo finish you'll appreciate the wheels even more.
The wheels can be built for the Cannondale 6mm offset. One of Cannondales gravel bikes uses this standard.
They are very stiff and therefore feel responsive and spoke life will be very long.
The rims have the ideal profile for making them very stable in cross winds, and your tyres will have an optimal shape. Recommend tyre with is 23-45mm.
- 26.2mm max width
- 45mm deep
- 18.5mm internal mm internal width
- Aerodynamic profile
- Sapim CX-ray spokes
- Shimano, Campagnolo or XD cassette compatibility
- 700c/622mm wheel size
- 100/135mm Q/R or 100x12/15mm/142x12mm TA
- Tubeless ready (tubed clincher tyre compatible also).
- 24F/24R spoke count
- BORG DX hubs or Carbon Ti X-hub (centrelock)
- Weight 1450g (carbon Ti hubs) 1560g (BORG DX hubs)
- 10000 mile (16000km) or 5 year guarantee against spoke/nipple failure.
- Centrelock rotor compatibility.
- Centrelock disc brake mounts. 6 bolt adapter available here.
- Lockring for 15mm axled hubs must be used. Centrelock rotor lockring available here.
Let me know which axle standard combination you need at checkout.
Please state at checkout.
100*12/142*12mm for Cannondale offset bikes.
The wheels will stand up to road, CX or gravel use.
Spoke count is 24 front and rear.
Sapim CX-ray spokes in black are used with alloy nipples that match the colour of the hubs. Silver spokes can be used with the Carbon Ti coloured hubs.
There are two hubsets available.
1) BORG DX with centrelock rotor mounts:
Q/R, 100x12/15mm and 142x12mm compatible in any combination. Just tell me at checkout what you need.
6 bolt adapters made by Miche are available. The rear hub is supplied with a Shimano external spline lockring. Freehub bodies for Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed MTB or road, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed, and SRAM XD driver are available and are interchangeable with nothing more than possible bearing preload adjustment.
The freehub has a titanium core/pawl seat springs with an aluminum alloy main body. The freehub has 3 spring loaded pawls and a 30T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Slick or Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop any water ingress weakening the spring.
Why BORG DX hubs? Well, I have had Miche make these in 24H, 28H, and 32H drillings. They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The bearings are not the normal ISO grade 0 or ABEC-5 (enduro) that you find in many hubs even high-end ones. SKF supply the bearings for the BORG DX hub but these bearings have much tighter tolerances on the outer and inner diameters, the seals, the balls are to a much higher standard, even the grease is a special formulation. All this is designed to increase bearing longevity particular in wet weather operation. To get the longest life, pressure washing the hubs should be avoided and the cassette should be cleaned removed from the hub. The front hub has 2x 6803 bearings and the rear hub has 1x 6803 non-drive side and 2x 6803 drive side. The freehub body has 2x 6803 bearing. The same high-grade bearings are used throughout the hub. All spares down to the ratchet ring are available. Simply I have had these hubs made without compromise.
It is advisable if using Shimano made cassettes to tighten the lockrings up really right. RTF is what I call it. 40 to 50 Nm is required. For a Miche cassette for Shimano 40Nm is sufficient as these notch less easily. If you don't own a good torque wrench get a mechanic to fit the cassette for you.
2) Carbon Ti disc brake hubs for centrelock rotors. Available in a choice of colours. Black, red, blue, green, gold or silver. Black hubs will be assumed unless you tell me otherwise. The hubs are available 4 pawl freehubs. Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11 speed or SRAM XD 11/12 speed.
The hubs come with Q/R end caps (Carbon Ti skewers can be purchased separately) or 100x12mm, 100x15mm or 142x12mm thru axle options. Conversion kits are available too. Carbon Ti thru axles are available as well. Let me know which axle standard you need and I will convert.
100x12mm/142x12mm will be assumed if you don't specify.
Simply high end wheels without the high-end price tag (nearly).
The weight of the 45mm deep wheels with Miche hubs 1560g
The weight of the 45mm deep wheels with Carbon Ti hubs 1450gThe tyres offered are IRC tubeless tyres. Simply the best rubber on the market in my view.
The wheels are supplied tubeless ready too with tape, valves and IRC tyre levers. tubed tyres can be used as well.
You see why I have not put tyres into the listing. If tyres are bought I will fit them although you will need to buy the tubes with clinchers.
A review from cycling. You'll like them too.
What you get:
- 24F/24R spoke count wheelset
- out of the box 100x12/15mm/1412x12mm compatability
- Q/R compatibility on request
- Tubeless tyre ready (tape black tubeless valves and IRC tyre levers)
- Shimano, Campagnolo or XD driver
- 10,000 mile/16000km guarantee against spoke failures and other fatigue failures.
If the rim cracks (spoke holes) then that is a warranty (none have yet)
If a spoke breaks or the wheel goes more than 0.5mm out of true that is a warranty (none have yet lets keep it that way).
If a fault with the hub appears that is is not bearing wear then that is a warranty.
I rely on honesty so if the damage is related to impact then I will fix the wheel as the cost of the parts alone.
Other thing to buy with this wheelset