The BORG28 is a 28mm wide 22.5mm deep wheelset with a rim that has an internal width of 23mm. It is stiff, reliable and can handle the load. There are lighter wheels but these are more reliable for a wider range of riders and bicycle types.
- A robust all weather wheelset.
- Reliable cartridge bearing hubs.
- 28mm Wide tubeless tyre ready wheelset (tubed tyre compatible also).
- 100/135mm or 100*12/100*15/142*12mm compatible.
- 28 spoke or 32 spoke count wheels
- Stiff yet comfortable.
- Triple butted Sapim spokes.
- E-bike ready.
- Shimano, XD driver or Campagnolo freehub.
- 5 year warranty.
- Weight from 1585g
- Centrelock disc brake mounts.6 bolt adapter available here.
- Lockring for 15mm axled hubs must be used. Centrelock rotor lockring available here.
Let me know which axle standard combination you need at checkout.
Please state at checkout.
100*12/142*12mm for Cannondale offset bikes.
This is a disc brake specific wheelset that is black in colour, tubeless ready and ready for the road or trails. The 32 spoke set is suitable for heavier riders, loaded riding or E-bikes. The spoke, nipple,rim and hub choice all make these wheel E-bike ready. The hubs are rated to 330Nm of torque, the large flanges minise spoke tension changes and the triple butted spokes along with the brass nipples and washers ensure the whole wheel is reliable.
Use it road or for MTB XC use or gravel as it now called or as a touring bike or audax rides. The extra width means a comfortable ride.
Minimum tyre width is 36mm but tyres 40mm to 60mm are ideal.
650B rims do make quite a bit of sense. For touring bikes, they allow fatter tyres, the same is true for gravel bikes. With a 40mm tyre the rolling diameter is the same as a 700c wheel with a narrow tyre. The bigger tyre volume means more grip and comfort over rougher ground. Bigger tyres are faster off road. Also, those who load up the bike 650B wheels are stiffer and have a higher load capacity than there 700c cousins.
To me, there is no difference between a 650B wheelset aimed at gravel, MTB or touring. If it works for MTB it will work well for the other two.
The 700c/29er wheelset is still robust and will carry the load. It is light enough to be responsive and stiff enough to take whatever the road or trails throw at you.
The hubs used are BORG DX with centrelock rotor mounts. Q/R, 100x12/15mm and 142x12mm compatible in any combination. Just tell me at checkout what you need.
6 bolt adapters made by Miche are available. The rear hub requires the use of an external spline lock ring. Freehub bodies for Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed MTB or road, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed, and SRAM XD driver are available and are interchangeable with nothing more than possible bearing preload adjustment.
The freehub has a titanium core/pawl seat springs with an aluminium alloy main body. The freehub has 3 spring loaded pawls and a 30T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Slick or Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop water ingress weakening the spring.
Why BORG DX hubs? Well, I have had Miche make these in 24H, 28H, and 32H drillings. They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The bearings are not the normal ISO grade 0 or ABEC-5 (enduro) that you find in many hubs even high-end ones. SKF supply the bearings for the BORG DX hub but these bearings have much tighter tolerances on the outer and inner diameters, the balls are to a much higher standard, even the grease is a special formulation. All this is designed to increase bearing longevity particular in wet weather operation. To get the longest life, pressure washing the hubs should be avoided and the cassette should be cleaned removed from the hub. The front hub has 2x 6803 bearings and the rear hub has 1x 6803 non-drive side and 2x 6803 drive side. The freehub body has 2x 6803 bearing. The same high-grade bearings are used throughout the hub. All spares down to the ratchet ring are available. Simply I have had these hubs made without compromise.
Because these wheels would appeal to audax riders a dynamo front hub option is offered with a the SON28 centrelock for Q/R or tru axle. I do not build with the Shutter precision hubs anymore due to recurring warranty issues.
Spokes will be black Sapim Force with brass nipples for 32 spoke wheels and for 28 spoke wheels Sapim black alloy nipples are used. There is a 120kg weight limit on the 32 spoke wheels. Spoke nipples washers are used to ensure the rim won't crack.
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too and if you buy tyres f this shop I will fit them. Mavic UST tyres are also available just ask.
WTB Byways TCS
WTB Resolute TCS
IRC E-Mirbo 2.25"
28 spoke 650B with BORG DX hubs 1585g
28 spoke 700c/29er with BORG DX hubs 1685g
32 spoke 650B with BORG DX hubs 1680g
32 spoke 700C/29er with BORG DX hubs 1780g
Feel free to purchase a suitable IRC gravel, MTB or a WTB 650B tubeless tyre and I will fit them.
The dynamo hub adds weight.
Simply a solid wheelset that will do it all.
You can choose from any of the tyres stocked and if you buy them they will be fitted.
what you get
- 5 year/10,000 mile guarantee against spoke failure
- tubeless ready wheelset, (tape, valves and IRC tyre levers)
- crash damage repair at cost of parts only.
- Spares back up. If I use a hub all spares are available.
See my notes on how to avoid freehub body notching
Other things to buy with this wheelset
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-2 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used.
- Rims are sent by courier only cost £10. Next working day service with Parcel Force. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by Parcel Force.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service. a surcharge
Due to the disruption in postal service, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with UPS/Parcelfocre shipping, weight and destination affect price. So the following applies.
UPS is apply a £5 surcharge to all parcel picked up from 1st November to 1st January. This cost is passed onto you.
E.U countries that I ship to regularly.
Parcel Force shipping is used for a number of European countries. The price is the same for up 25kg. There is not a small parcel rate with Parcel Force. If your country is one of those then checkout is simple.Just checkout and pay. Parcel force offer a road freight service to most of Europe and it takes 2 to 5 days depending on the destination. UPS is also available on request.
Other E.U nations/outside EU customers a will see UPS rates.
However if the rate maybe wrong and the UPS rates assume a small E2 jiffy bag suitable for many small items. This if course does not apply for bigger items or multiples purchases. Quotes are available. Simply registering the website with you address e.t.c and I will provide full quote.
Therefore contact the shop for a shipping quote. Your registered shipping address will used for the UPS quote.
VAT will be removed as well and a new invoice issued. If payment has already been made a refund for excess payment will be issued.
For outside E.U customers the following applies. The order value is with VAT. VAT is 20% so order total for the parts/6 = VAT amount.
Then add the UPS shipping amount. The true amount may differ. the VAT is used if you have under paid if more is due then we will let you know. If you have over paid I will work out what and refund you.