The name of this wheelset should be self explanatory, the rims are 38mm deep.
Wheels are offered as a pair with Q/R skewers a spacer for using 8/9/10 speed cassettes with the shimano freehubs and Campagnolo carbon brake pads for Shimano (Tektro e.t.c) or Campagnolo brake pad holders.
These 38mm deep 20.5mm wide carbon fibre rims with a 3k weave are 295g in weight. That how this wheelset is so light. With these you get all the marginal gains, stiff (for good power transfer), light weight and fairly aerodynamic.
You may think why not a wider rim but these are for narriwer tyres and narrow shows lower aerodynamic drag. Supple tubs are comfortable in 22mm width do there is no point in wider. These are light wheels that also should give an aero benefit to the rider. That means narrow.
The rims themselves have a brake track that uses high Tg resins and that work well with the pads I supply which are Campagnolo carbon pads (red) for shimano or campagnolo pattern brakes.Braking is as good as it is on alloy rims with good pads and brakes.
While I can't change physics - carbon rims do not dissipate heat as well as metal rims - the high Tg resins do mean heat up build does not pose a issue (except in the most extreme circumstances).
Why tubular wheels. Well tubular tyres can offer increased comfort and are generally more puncture resistant to there tubed clincher equivalents. If riding steep decents with lots of braking carbon tubular rims will heat up as much but the tyre is not trying to blow the rim apart neither will the tube burst as is enclosed within the tyre carcass thus insulating from that heat buildup. Tubular wheels are not just race day wheels. They are far more than that.The spokes used are black Sapim CX-ray (silver with silver Carbon Ti hubs) and I offer currently two hubsets;
1) Miche Primato - wheel set weight 1260g big bearings that last, steel axle, bearing preload adjusters, Shimano 11 speed freehub or Campagnolo freehub. A robust all weather hubset.
2) Carbon Ti hubs - wheelset weight 1025g. Light weight hubs that come in anodised colours. Matching sapim coloured nipples are used (well the colour may not be an exact match but it is close) and carbon Ti skewers (weight 39g) these Q/R's have titanium axles and levers are supplied. Coloured hubs are special order so extra time maybe needed to fufill this order. These hubs use 6903 bearings in the rear hubs, 17mm axles, 4 pawl freehubs and they have bearing preload adjustment. Simple light and reliable hubs. You pay for it mind. Let me know hub colour at checkout.
3) Extralite hubs. The Cyber front SL and the Cyber rear SL2 hubs are used with traditional flanges. These light weight hubs are the lightest on the market and have surprising longevity. Treat them well and they will give you a long service life. The bearings are 6803 in the rear hub. Weight with these hubs is 982g
The wheels are stuff, light and aerodynamic.
Hubs with big bearings like these have good reliability and are easy to service.
Front wheel is laced radial and rear 2x/radial
The Miche Primato hubs may be budget hubs but they are the best budget hubs there are and are the equal of many more expensive hubsets. They use big 6001 bearings, good seals, a bearing preload adjuster, steel axles simply an uncomplictaed hub which is why it is so good. Weight with these hubs in 20F/24R spoke count is 1260g.
What The Cycle Clinic offers is a well built and hand built wheelset that peforms the way you want it too with the best customer back up there is, see the wheel building page for what we offer.
While weight does not make a huge difference to your overall performance these could be so much lighter than your current wheels that with a few other changes to your bike you could shed a 1kg or so which will make itself felt. The wheels are stiff and it is pointless having a lightweight set of wheels that is not. So these wheels offer all the marginal gains which is important if you are competing.
The Cycle Clinic can also glue tubular tyres on for you or just supply them. Dugast strada, Vittoria Corsa G+, Continental Sprinter, Competition and GP4000s are our favourite tubs at present and possibly they will always be.
- An aerodynamic wheelset front and rear.
- Q/R skewers for Miche hubs
- Campagnolo carbon brake pads in shimano or campagnolo form.
- The best guarantee (for the life of the rim against spoke failure and anything that could be termed a defect) i.e. problems fixed at my cost not yours
- Crash replacement at cost of parts only no labour.
- weight limit ~90kg
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-2 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used.
- Rims are sent by courier only cost £10. Next working day service with Parcel Force. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by Parcel Force.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service. a surcharge
Due to the disruption in postal service, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with UPS/Parcelfocre shipping, weight and destination affect price. So the following applies.
UPS is apply a £5 surcharge to all parcel picked up from 1st November to 1st January. This cost is passed onto you.
E.U countries that I ship to regularly.
Parcel Force shipping is used for a number of European countries. The price is the same for up 25kg. There is not a small parcel rate with Parcel Force. If your country is one of those then checkout is simple.Just checkout and pay. Parcel force offer a road freight service to most of Europe and it takes 2 to 5 days depending on the destination. UPS is also available on request.
Other E.U nations/outside EU customers a will see UPS rates.
However if the rate maybe wrong and the UPS rates assume a small E2 jiffy bag suitable for many small items. This if course does not apply for bigger items or multiples purchases. Quotes are available. Simply registering the website with you address e.t.c and I will provide full quote.
Therefore contact the shop for a shipping quote. Your registered shipping address will used for the UPS quote.
VAT will be removed as well and a new invoice issued. If payment has already been made a refund for excess payment will be issued.
For outside E.U customers the following applies. The order value is with VAT. VAT is 20% so order total for the parts/6 = VAT amount.
Then add the UPS shipping amount. The true amount may differ. the VAT is used if you have under paid if more is due then we will let you know. If you have over paid I will work out what and refund you.