The BORG50C wheelset is a aerodynamic, stiff, responsive race ready wheelset. Performance wheels don't have to have a high price tag. The wheels are built in Suffolk, U.K. They are built to last and make you quicker.
The rims are 50mm deep and 26mm wide. The internal width is 19mm. The industries best aero spoke is used along with hubs made in Italy. The wheels are built by me in the U.K.
- 26mm wide (max width)
- 50mm deep
- 19mm internal width
- 20F/24R spoke count
- Sapim Cx Ray spokes and nipples used.
- SRAM XDR/AXS 12 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 or Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10/11 speed compatible.
- Lifetime guarantee against rim, hub and spoke/nipple failure (see warranty notes)
- Tubeless ready (tubed clincher tyre compatible also).
- Alloy rim like braking in all conditions
- Stiff and aerodynamic with good cross wind stability.
- Weight 1485g.
- 100/130mm OLD.
- 700C/622mm wheel size.
The wheels are comfortable and the aero gain just helps you feel like your on a good day which is always welcome. The wide rim helps improve the bikes ability to corner as the tyres don't deform as much under side loads and the braking, in all conditions, is good. Crosswinds stability is also very good.
Recommended tyre size is a inflated width of 25mm for optimal aerodynamic performance. 27mm and 28mm tyre though are not going to harm performance much at all. Its tyres bigger than 28mm that start to catch the wind more and offer a aerodynamic penalty.
The BORG50C rims have a gloss black logo. The logo's are part of the finish of the rim. The logo cant peel of. It is not water transfers either, there is nothing to peel off in fact the logo is slightly recessed. Once you see and feel it you wonder why The BORG50C is the only wheel to have such logo's.
IRC tubeless tyres are easy to mount and remove. Max pressure for the rim is 120 psi but no more than 100psi is necessary depending on tyre choice and rider weight.
The rims have a good brake track with a high Tg resin's. The resins used means rim overheating is not an issue but we can't change Physics (no -one can), carbon rims dissipate heat more slowly than metal rims. Rule of thumb if the braking load would get alloy rims to hot to handle then don't do that decent on any carbon clincher rim. The Cycle Clinic supplies the wheels with Campagnolo carbon brakes pads, in Shimano or Campagnolo pattern. Braking performance is as good as it is on alloy rims with good pads and brakes. Braking in the wet is good too. Rim wear does not seem to be a big issue on these rims either. Use of the supplied pad is required for warranty. Rim overheating is not an issue with the recommended pads but can be an issue with some pads including swiss stop.
The spokes used are Sapim CX-ray with black alloy nipples. These stiffer spokes improve the rear wheels lateral and radial stiffness, thus extending spoke life and reducing brake rub.
The rear 24H wheel is laced 2x drive side carbon ti hubs and the front 20H wheel is laced in a radial pattern.
Hubs offered are Carbon Ti X-Hub road SP hubs made in italy - wheelset weight 1485g. Light weight hubs that come in black.
These hubs use 1x 6903 and 3x6803 bearings in the rear hub, 17mm axles, 4 pawl freehubs and they have bearing preload adjustment. Simple, light and reliable hubs. You pay for it mind. Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, SRAM XDR 12 speed Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehubs available.
All the Campagnolo freehubs offered are 9/10/11/12 speed compatible. All the Shimano freehubs offered are 8/9/10/11 speed compatible and they come with a spacer for 8/9/10 speed cassettes (although an additional 1mm spacer supplied with a 10 speed cassette is needed too).
The XDR freehub is for SRAM AXS 12 speed cassettes.
The BORG50C wheelset are supplied as wheels tubeless ready but are tubed tyre comptibale.
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too, and if you buy tyres of this shop I will fit them and set them up with Maxalami Sealant. Please note if you buy tubed tyres buy tubes also. Below are links to the tubeless tyres and IRC tubed tyres stocked.
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite RBCC clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with inner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
Veloflex Corsa Race TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
So many manufacturers offer carbon rimmed aero wheels now but none come with the guarantee I offer (which applies to all wheels that I build) and none are better, honest truth. There is no weight limit as such on these wheels but be sensible.
What you get
- An aerodynamic wheelset front and rear.
- Tubelese rim tape, tubeless valve and extenders
- Miche Q/R skewers for Miche hubs. No Q/R for Carbon Ti hubs as they are out of production.
- Tubeless IRC tyres installed if you go for that option. I recommend that you do.
- Campagnolo carbon brake pads in shimano or campagnolo form.
- The best guarantee (for the life of the rim against spoke failure and anything that could be termed a defect) i.e. problems fixed at my cost not yours
- Crash replacement at cost of parts only no labour.
Brake track warping due to overheating is not a warranty fault. I will however rebuild at cost of the rim only. You need to observe the rule of thumb in the text above and only use campagnolo red pads to avoid overheating issues.
If the rim cracks (spoke holes) then that is a warranty (none have yet)
If a spoke breaks or the wheel goes more than 0.5mm out of true that is a warranty (none have yet lets keep it that way).
If a fault with the hub appears that is is not normal wear then that is a warranty.
Reviews from the press.
Things to buy if your using tubeless tyres.
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-7 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery. in the case of the items recorded as delivered but you claim non delivery or delivery attempted but parcel never available for collection no refund or replacement goods are possible. R24 is not a tracked or insured service. We are only liable if delivery never happens. We wait 30 days before declaring am item lost. If this is not acceptable to you then pay for Special Delivery which is tracked and insured. We are not longer taking the hit for lost items because you want to spend less on postage.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used. This is fully insured service so in the event of non delivery a claim is possible.
- Rims are sent by courier only- cost £10. UPS is used. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by UPS.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service.
Due to the disruption in postal services during 2020, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed (europe only) and UPS or Parcel Force tracked services. Parcel mass and destination affect price. So the following applies. I do not offer cheaper slower mail services anymore.
The website will provide shipping rates at checkout.
The import charges you will face are and these will be levied by the shipping carrier or by your customs authority in advance of delivery. Customs clearance will add to shipping times.
You will be billed for
Import duties which are set by the tarrif code we declare. Tarrif rates are normally published on government websites. "Free trade agreements" affect this and for EU customers there are no duties as tarrifs are set at zero for goods like our wheels that originate in the U.K. Goods that originate in the E.U and are exported back yo the E.U attract tarriffs. Good made outside the e.u and sold into the E.U attract tarrifs. The declared value in GDP will be converted to your countries currency by the monthly rate published by your tax authority.
Customs clearance fees -these vary from country to country and also vary by declared value in some juristictions.
VAT or sales taxes and applied to the total of the declared value of goods, customs clearance charges and import duties.
This shop declares the total paid for the goods for customs value, no exceptions. We will not declare low values as thats fraud and we will not be party to it.
A word of warning once an parcel has been shipped any import charges are your reponsibility. Refusal to pay these charges to the parcel carrier mean you loose the right to an automatic refund. We refund at our discretion minus any charges we are levied by the parcel carrier. These charges cannot be disputed by us. We also reserve the right to apply a 10% restocking fee on top of any charges applied to us for the return of the parcel. Therefore once shipped charges must be paid. We can accept no liability if the parcel is lost after charges have been refused to be paid.