The velocity aileron is the perfect disc brake rim for road and all road use. This is a proper disc brake specific rim that is wide (25mm external 20mm internal), deep (28mm), aero (elipical profile) and stiff. This rim is perfect for road use or CX/gravel use. Tour on it, race on it, literally one wheel can do it all. The rim is tubeless ready and the wheels are supplied with a tubeless kit.
Its also suitable for heavier rider in higher spoke counts.
Suggested tyre width are 28mm to 45mm.
- A robust all weather wheelset.
- Reliable cartridge bearing hubs.
- Centrelock rotor mounts
- 27mm deep, 25mm wide
- Wide tubeless tyre ready rims.
- Stiff yet comfortable.
- Sapim aero spokes.
- Shimano 8/9/10/11speed, XDR 12 speed driver, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehub or Campagnolo N3W 13 speed freehub.
- 16000km warranty.
- Weight from 1610g
- Centrelock disc brake mounts.
- 6 bolt adapter available here.
- Centrelock rotor lockring available here.
The wheelset is offered in 28H drilling front and rear but 24H and 32H drilling can be built please enquire. Carbon ti hubs can be used and a very light sub 1430g wheelset is possible, please enqire.
The hubset in this listing are the BORG wheels.
Q/R, 100x12/15mm and 142x12mm compatible in any combination. You can pick in the drop down menu between Q/R and thru axle.
Freehub bodies for
- Shimano 8/9/10/11speed
- XDR 12 speed driver
- Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehub
- Campagnolo N3W 13 speed freehub.
are available and are interchangeable.
The freehub has 4 independently spring loaded pawls and a 36T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop water ingress weakening the spring.
They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The front hub has 2x NTN 6902 LLB bearings and the rear hub has 2x NTN 6902 LLB. The freehub body has 1x NTN 6902 LLB and 1x NTN 6802 LLB for shimano and 1x 2x 6803 bearing for Campagnolo, XDR and N3W freehubs . All spares are available.
Spokes used are Sapim.
Cx-ray black spokes and black alloy nipples are an option for light wheels and the 28 spoke count option.
Sapm Force round spokes and brass nipples are a cheaper option and the one offered for the 32 spoke count option. A spoke prep that acts as a corrosion inhibitor is used to prevent corrosion. This also stops the wheels going out if true as it has a mild thread locking effect.
Sapim nipples washers are used also.
The wheels are supplied tubeless ready (valves, tape and IRC tubeless tyre levers). Wheels pictured are not supplied with tyres or disc rotors but these are available.
Lighter builds are only possible with lighter hubs
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too including
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite RBCC clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with inner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
IRC Boken 36mm or 40mm
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
Weight of the 28H spoke build with BORX BX hubs is 1600g
What you get
- Wheelset front and rear with Sapim spokes and nipples
- VAR tubeless rim tape
- VAR tubeless valves
- 100x12mm/142x12mm thru axle standard assumed but Q/R is available on all hubs.
- The best guarantee (5 years or 10,000 miles) i.e. problems fixed at my cost not yours
- Crash replacement at cost of parts only no labour.
See my notes on how to avoid freehub body notching
Things to buy if your using tubeless tyres.
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-7 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery. in the case of the items recorded as delivered but you claim non delivery or delivery attempted but parcel never available for collection no refund or replacement goods are possible. R24 is not a tracked or insured service. We are only liable if delivery never happens. We wait 30 days before declaring am item lost. If this is not acceptable to you then pay for Special Delivery which is tracked and insured. We are not longer taking the hit for lost items because you want to spend less on postage.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used. This is fully insured service so in the event of non delivery a claim is possible.
- Rims are sent by courier only- cost £10. UPS is used. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by UPS.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service.
Due to the disruption in postal services during 2020, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with Royal Mail Internation al Tracked and Signed (europe only) and UPS or Parcel Force tracked services. Parcel mass and destination affect price. So the following applies. I do not offer cheaper slower mail services anymore. Please don't ask as it means you have not read this page. There is no circumstance where i will use a cheaper service.
The website will provide shipping rates at checkout.
The import charges you will face are and these will be levied by the shipping carrier or by your customs authority in advance of delivery. Customs clearance will add to shipping times.
You will be billed for
Import duties which are set by the tarrif code we declare. Tarrif rates are normally published on government websites. "Free trade agreements" affect this and for EU customers there are no duties as tarrifs are set at zero for goods like our wheels that originate in the U.K. Goods that originate in the E.U and are exported back yo the E.U attract tarriffs. Good made outside the e.u and sold into the E.U attract tarrifs. The declared value in GDP will be converted to your countries currency by the monthly rate published by your tax authority.
Customs clearance fees -these vary from country to country and also vary by declared value in some juristictions.
VAT or sales taxes and applied to the total of the declared value of goods, customs clearance charges and import duties.
This shop declares the total paid for the goods for customs value, no exceptions. We will not declare low values as thats fraud and we will not be party to it.