The Cycle Clinic loves the move to disc bakes for road bikes. This is a proper disc brake specific rim that is wide (25mm external 20mm internal), deep (27mm), aero (elipical profile) and stiff. This rim is perfect for road use or CX/gravel use. Tour on it, race literally one wheel can do it all. The rim is tubeless ready and the wheels are supplied with a tubeless kit.
- A robust all weather wheelset.
- Reliable cartridge bearing hubs.
- Centrelock rotor mounts (BORG DX hubs) or 6 bolt (Carbon Ti hubs)
- 27mm deep, 25mm wide
- Wide tubeless tyre ready rims.
- Stiff yet comfortable.
- Sapim aero spokes.
- Shimano, XD driver or Campagnolo freehub.
- 16000km warranty.
- Weight 1535g or 1625g
- Centrelock disc brake mounts.6 bolt adapter available here.
- Centrelock rotor lockring available here.
The wheelset is offered in 28H drilling front and rear but 24H and 32H drilling can be built. I offer a limited range of hubset all 11 speed compatible. I keep it simple because these are the best hubs on the market full stop.
Hubs on offer are either BORG DX or Carbon Ti. Other hubs can be used but between these two hubs you have most bases covered.
The BORG DX hubs:
Q/R, 100x12/15mm and 142x12mm compatible in any combination. You can pick in the drop down men between Q/R and thru axle.
6 bolt adapters made by Miche are available. The rear hub is supplied with a Shimano external spline lockring. Freehub bodies for Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed MTB or road, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed, and SRAM XD driver are available and are interchangeable with nothing more than possible bearing preload adjustment.
The freehub has a titanium core/pawl seat springs with an aluminum alloy main body. The freehub has 3 spring loaded pawls and a 30T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Slick or Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop water ingress weakening the spring.
Why BORG DX hubs? Well, I have had Miche make these in 24H, 28H, and 32H drillings. They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The bearings are not the normal ISO grade 0 or ABEC-5 (enduro) that you find in many hubs even high-end ones. SKF supply the bearings for the BORG DX hub but these bearings have much tighter tolerances on the outer and inner diameters, the seals, the balls are to a much higher standard, even the grease is a special formulation. All this is designed to increase bearing longevity particular in wet weather operation. To get the longest life, pressure washing the hubs should be avoided and the cassette should be cleaned removed from the hub. The front hub has 2x 6803 bearings and the rear hub has 1x 6803 non-drive side and 2x 6803 drive side. The freehub body has 2x 6803 bearing. The same high-grade bearings are used throughout the hub. All spares down to the ratchet ring are available. Simply I have had these hubs made without compromise.
It is advisable if using Shimano made cassettes to tighten the lockrings up really right. RTF is what I call it. 40 to 50 Nm is required. For a Miche cassette for Shimano 40Nm is sufficient as these notch less easily. If you don't own a good torque wrench get a mechanic to fit the cassette for you. The freehubs are expensive, no need to ruin prematurely.
Carbon Ti hubs are also offered in 24H, 28H or 32H pairs. 28H is listed.
- 6 bolt rotor fitting
- Black, red, gold, green, silver, polished silver, blue. Black hubs will be assumed unless you tell me. silver spokes can be used as well. Just specify.
- Bearing preload adjusters front and rear
- 17mm alloy axles
- 4 pawl freehub
- Campagnolo, shimano and XD driver compatible
- Available with 100/135mm quick release, 100x12mm, 100x15mm or 142x12mm again you can pick between Q/R and thru axle in the drop doiwn menu.
- very light (303g/pair) but reliable hubs.
Spokes used are Sapim Cx-ray black spokes and black alloy nipples. A spoke prep that acts as a corrosion inhibitor is used to prevent corrosion. This also stops the wheels going out if true as it has a mild thread locking effect.
The wheels are supplied tubeless ready (valves, tape and IRC tubeless tyre levers). Wheels pictured are not supplied with tyres or disc rotors but these are available.
Lighter builds are only possible with lighter hubs
Weight of the 28H spoke build with BORX BX hubs is 1625g
Weight of the 28H Carbon Ti build is 1535g
What you get
- Wheelset front and rear with aero spokes
- VAR tubeless rim tape
- VAR tubeless valves
- IRC tubeless tyre levers
- 100x12mm/142x12mm thru axle standard assumed but Q/R is available on all hubs.
- The best guarantee (5 years or 10,000 miles) i.e. problems fixed at my cost not yours
- Crash replacement at cost of parts only no labour.