Rims with black logos are out of stock. One pair of rim with white logos left. More due in approx 3 months. Order can be taken for a £100 deposit. ETA updates are not possible as I get no updates even when I ask from the factory even if the factory overun.
The BORG50C wheelset is a aerodynamic, stiff, responsive race ready wheelset. Performance wheels don't have to have a high price tag. The wheels are built by me (Malcolm Borg) in Suffolk, U.K. They are built to last and make you quicker.
The rims are 50mm deep and 26.2mm wide. The internal width is 18.5mm. The industries best aero spoke is used along with hubs made in Italy. The wheels are built by me in the U.K. An elite woman's team - Team on Form are using these wheels with the IRC Formula Pro RBCC tyres.
- 26.2mm wide (max width)
- 50mm deep
- 18.5mm internal width
- 20F/24R spoke count
- Sapim Cxray spokes and nipples used.
- Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 or Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10/11 speed compatible.
- Lifetime guarantee against spoke/nipple failure.
- Tubeless ready (tape and valves)
- Alloy rim like braking in all conditions
- Stiff and aerodynamic with good cross wind stability.
- Weight from 1470g.
- 100/130mm OLD.
- 700C/622mm wheel size.
The wheels are comfortable and the aero gain just helps you feel like your on a good day which is always welcome. The wide rim helps improve the bikes ability to corner as the tyres don't deform as much under side loads and the braking, in all conditions, is good. Crosswinds stability is also very good.
The tyres are important. The IRC Formula Pro RBCC 25mm tyres are supplied to team on form and these are the tyre I recommend for everyone because they are very durable, grip like nothing else, puncture resistant (although not invulnerable like some people think) and the width on these rims at 100 psi (this is maximum tyre pressure I suggest) is 24mm (height is 22mm). Tyres should be narrower than the rim to minimises drag and maximises the stall angle. This is true for all wheels.
23mm Continental GP40000s, 23mm Schwalbe Pro one and other tyres sized like these are close to optimum. Bigger will increase drag.
The BORG50C rims have a gloss black logo. The logo's are part of the finish of the rim. The logo cant peel of. It is not water transfers either, there is nothing to peel off in fact the logo is slightly recessed. Once you see and feel it you wonder why The BORG50C is the only wheel to have such logo's.
Wide rims also mean a larger tyre volume also grip in the bends is improved. IRC tubeless tyres are easy to mount and remove. Max pressure for the rim is 120 psi but no more than 100psi is necessary depending on tyre choice and rider weight.
The rims have a good brake track with a high Tg resin's. The resins used means rim overheating is not an issue but we can't change Physics (no -one can), carbon rims dissipate heat more slowly than metal rims. Rule of thumb if the braking load would get alloy rims to hot to handle then don't do that decent on any carbon clincher rim. The Cycle Clinic supplies the wheels with Campagnolo carbon brakes pads, in Shimano or Campagnolo pattern. Braking performance is as good as it is on alloy rims with good pads and brakes. Braking in the wet is good too. Rim wear does not seem to be a big issue on these rims either.
The spokes used are Sapim CX-ray with black SILS alloy nipples. The rear 24H wheel is laced 2x and the front 20H wheel is laced in a radial pattern.
Hubs offered are;
1) Miche Primato - wheel set weight 1690g. You get big bearings that last, steel rear axle, bearing preload adjusters, Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed freehub or Campagnolo 9/10/11 speed freehub. A robust all weather hubset that once you have ridden for a few thousand miles you'll understand why these are the hubs I use.
2) Carbon Ti hubs - wheelset weight 1490g. Light weight hubs that come in anodised colours. Matching sapim coloured nipples are used (well the colour may not be an exact match but it is close) and carbon Ti skewers (weight 39g) these Q/R's have titanium axles and levers are supplied. Coloured hubs are special order so extra time may be needed to fulfill this order. These hubs use 1x 6903 and 3x6803 bearings in the rear hub, 17mm axles, 4 pawl freehubs and they have bearing preload adjustment. Simple, light and reliable hubs. You pay for it mind. Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11 speed freehubs available.
Colour options with carbon Ti hubs;
To select the colour send me an e-mail regarding colour choice. Some colours may result in a delay in building as it may take more time to get them from Carbon Ti in Italy.
With coloured hubs you can select between silver or black CX-ray spokes again an e-mail.
All the Campagnolo freehubs offered are 9/10/11/12 speed compatible. All the Shimano freehubs offered are 8/9/10/11 speed compatible and they come with a spacer for 8/9/10 speed cassettes (although an additional 1mm spacer supplied with a 10 speed cassette is needed too).
The BORG50C wheelset are supplied as wheels tubeless ready, with IRC clinchers installed with tubes or with IRC tubeless tyres set up.
So many manufacturers offer carbon rimmed aero wheels now but none come with the guarantee I offer (which applies to all wheels that I build) and none are better, honest truth. There is no weight limit as such on these wheels but be sensible.
What you get
- An aerodynamic wheelset front and rear.
- VAR rim tape, tubeless valve and extenders
- Miche Q/R skewers for Miche hubs and Carbon Ti Q/R for Carbon Ti hubs.
- Tubeless IRC tyres installed if you go for that option. I recommend that you do.
- Campagnolo carbon brake pads in shimano or campagnolo form.
- The best guarantee (for the life of the rim against spoke failure and anything that could be termed a defect) i.e. problems fixed at my cost not yours
- Crash replacement at cost of parts only no labour.
Brake track warping due to overheating is not a warranty fault. I will however rebuild at cost of the rim only. You need to observe the rule of thumb in the text above.
If the rim cracks (spoke holes) then that is a warranty (none have yet)
If a spoke breaks or the wheel goes more than 0.5mm out of true that is a warranty (none have yet lets keep it that way).
If a fault with the hub appears that is is not bearing wear then that is a warranty.
I rely on honesty so if the damage is related to impact then I will fix the wheel as the cost of the parts alone.
Reviews from the press.
Other things to buy with this wheelset
Carbon Ti Quick release skewers