The BORG50C wheelset is a aerodynamic, stiff, responsive race ready wheelset. Performance wheels don't have to have a high price tag. The wheels are built by me (Malcolm Borg) in Suffolk, U.K. They are built to last and make you quicker.
The rims are 50mm deep and 26mm wide. The internal width is 19mm. The industries best aero spoke is used along with hubs made in Italy. The wheels are built by me in the U.K.
- 26mm wide (max width)
- 50mm deep
- 19mm internal width
- 20F/24R spoke count
- Sapim Cx Ray spokes and nipples used.
- Heavy rider option with Sapim Cx Sprint spokes.
- SRAM XDR/AXS 12 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 or Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10/11 speed compatible.
- Lifetime guarantee against rim, hub and spoke/nipple failure (see warranty notes)
- Tubeless ready (tubed clincher tyre compatible also).
- Alloy rim like braking in all conditions
- Stiff and aerodynamic with good cross wind stability.
- Weight from 1485g.
- 100/130mm OLD.
- 700C/622mm wheel size.
The wheels are comfortable and the aero gain just helps you feel like your on a good day which is always welcome. The wide rim helps improve the bikes ability to corner as the tyres don't deform as much under side loads and the braking, in all conditions, is good. Crosswinds stability is also very good.
Recommended tyre size is a inflated width of 25mm for optimal aerodynamic performance. 27mm and 28mm tyre though are not going to harm performance much at all. Its tyres bigger than 28mm that start to catch the wind more and offer a aerodynamic penalty.
The BORG50C rims have a gloss black logo. The logo's are part of the finish of the rim. The logo cant peel of. It is not water transfers either, there is nothing to peel off in fact the logo is slightly recessed. Once you see and feel it you wonder why The BORG50C is the only wheel to have such logo's.
IRC tubeless tyres are easy to mount and remove. Max pressure for the rim is 120 psi but no more than 100psi is necessary depending on tyre choice and rider weight.
The rims have a good brake track with a high Tg resin's. The resins used means rim overheating is not an issue but we can't change Physics (no -one can), carbon rims dissipate heat more slowly than metal rims. Rule of thumb if the braking load would get alloy rims to hot to handle then don't do that decent on any carbon clincher rim. The Cycle Clinic supplies the wheels with Campagnolo carbon brakes pads, in Shimano or Campagnolo pattern. Braking performance is as good as it is on alloy rims with good pads and brakes. Braking in the wet is good too. Rim wear does not seem to be a big issue on these rims either. Use of the supplied pad is required for warranty. Rim overheating is not an issue with the recommended pads but can be an issue with some pads including swiss stop.
The spokes used are Sapim CX-ray with black SILS alloy nipples. Heavier riders can ask for Sapim CX Sprint spokes for the rear wheel. Add a note at checkout requesting this or send an email. These stiffer spokes improve the rear wheels lateral and radial stiffness, thus extending spoke life and reducing brake rub.
The rear 24H wheel is laced 2x for the miche and carbon ti hubs and the front 20H wheel is laced in a radial pattern.
Hubs offered are;
1) Miche Primato made in italy - wheel set weight 1665g. You get big bearings that last, steel rear axle, bearing preload adjusters, Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed freehub, SRAM XDR 12 speed or Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehub. A robust all weather hubset that once you have ridden for a few thousand miles you'll understand why these are the hubs I use.
2) Carbon Ti hubsmade in italy - wheelset weight 1485g. Light weight hubs that come in anodised colours. Matching sapim coloured nipples are used (well the colour may not be an exact match but it is close) and carbon Ti skewers (weight 39g) these Q/R's have titanium axles and levers are supplied. Coloured hubs are special order so extra time may be needed to fulfill this order. These hubs use 1x 6903 and 3x6803 bearings in the rear hub, 17mm axles, 4 pawl freehubs and they have bearing preload adjustment. Simple, light and reliable hubs. You pay for it mind. Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, SRAM XDR 12 speed Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehubs available.
Colour options with carbon Ti hubs;
To select the colour send me an e-mail regarding colour choice. Some colours may result in a delay in building as it may take more time to get them from Carbon Ti in Italy.
With coloured hubs you can select between silver or black CX-ray spokes again an e-mail.
All the Campagnolo freehubs offered are 9/10/11/12 speed compatible. All the Shimano freehubs offered are 8/9/10/11 speed compatible and they come with a spacer for 8/9/10 speed cassettes (although an additional 1mm spacer supplied with a 10 speed cassette is needed too).
The XDR freehub is for SRAM AXS 12 speed cassettes.
The BORG50C wheelset are supplied as wheels tubeless ready but are tubed tyre comptibale.
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too, and if you buy tyres of this shop I will fit them and set them up with Maxalami Sealant. Please note if you buy tubed tyres buy tubes also. Below are links to the tubeless tyres and IRC tubed tyres stocked.
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite Pro Dry clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with tinner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
So many manufacturers offer carbon rimmed aero wheels now but none come with the guarantee I offer (which applies to all wheels that I build) and none are better, honest truth. There is no weight limit as such on these wheels but be sensible.
What you get
- An aerodynamic wheelset front and rear.
- Tubelese rim tape, tubeless valve and extenders
- Miche Q/R skewers for Miche hubs and Carbon Ti Q/R for Carbon Ti hubs.
- Tubeless IRC tyres installed if you go for that option. I recommend that you do.
- Campagnolo carbon brake pads in shimano or campagnolo form.
- The best guarantee (for the life of the rim against spoke failure and anything that could be termed a defect) i.e. problems fixed at my cost not yours
- Crash replacement at cost of parts only no labour.
Brake track warping due to overheating is not a warranty fault. I will however rebuild at cost of the rim only. You need to observe the rule of thumb in the text above and only use campagnolo red pads to avoid overheating issues.
If the rim cracks (spoke holes) then that is a warranty (none have yet)
If a spoke breaks or the wheel goes more than 0.5mm out of true that is a warranty (none have yet lets keep it that way).
If a fault with the hub appears that is is not bearing wear then that is a warranty.
I rely on honesty so if the damage is related to impact then I will fix the wheel as the cost of the parts alone.
Reviews from the press.
Other things to buy with this wheelset
Carbon Ti Quick release skewers
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force. UPS mostly in fact.
Orders placed after noon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed.Prioirty is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In gerneral we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-2 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used.
- Rims are sent by courier only cost £10. Next working day service with Parcel Force. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by Parcel Force.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service. a surcharge
Due to the disruption in postal service, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with UPS/Parcelfocre shipping but isze, weight and destination affect price. So the following applies.
E.U customers that I ship to reguarly.
Parcel Force shipping is used for a number of european countries. The price is the same for up 25kg. There is not a small parcel rate with Parcel Force. If your country is one of those then checkout is simple.Just checkout and pay. Parcel force offer a road freight service to most of europe and it takes 2 to 5 days depending on the destination. UPS is also available on request.
Other E.U nations/outside EU customers a will see UPS rates.
However if the rate maybe wrong and the UPS rates assume a small E2 jiffy bag suitable for many small items. This if course does not apply for bigger items or multiples purchases. Quotes are available. Simply registering the website with you address e.t.c and I will provide full quote.
Therefore contact the shop for a shipping quote. Your registered shipping address will used for the UPS quote.
VAT will be removed as well and a new invoice issued. If payment has already been made a refund for excess payment will be issued.
For outside E.U customers the folowing applies. The order value is with VAT. VAT is 20% so order total for the parts/6 = VAT ammount.
Then add the UPS shipping ammount. The true ammount may differ. the VAT is used if you have under paid if more is due then we will let you know. If you have over paid I will work out what and refund you.