The BORG22 DISC brake wheelset is designed/built for high miles and riders over 100kg. Based around a rim from Kinlin and BORG DX hubs. These wheels are more than suitable for CX/gravel use too. There is a dynamo option with the SON 28 hub. The hub will be the centrelock variant and is avilable in Q/R or 100x12mm form.
This is the touring/heavy rider/E-bike version with a 120kg weight limit. The hubs are rated to hold 330Nm of torque so they can handle E-bikes. The spoke and nipple choice, nipple washers will ensure long term reliability.
Let me know which axle standard combination you need at checkout.
The wheels can be built for the Cannondale 6mm offset rear used in one of there CX bikes.
- Centrelock BORG DX hubs with Son Dynamo hub option
- 24mm wide tubeless ready wheelset (tubed tyre compatible also).
- 32 spoke count.
- Thru axle and Q/R compatibiliaty
- 100*12/100*15/142*12mm or 100/135mm QR compatible.
- Campagnolo, Shimano or SRAM XD/XDR driver compatibatility
- Sapim triple butted black spokes and brass nipples.
- 10,000mile/16,000km warranty against spoke failure and other fatigue failure's.
- Centrelock disc brake mounts.6 bolt adapter available here.
- Lockring for 15mm axled hubs must be used. Centrelock rotor lockring available here.
Let me know which axle standard combination you need at checkout.
Please state at checkout (for BORG DX or Son28/BORG DX hubs)
100*12/142*12mm for Cannondale 6mm offset bikes.
The hubs used are BORG DX with centrelock rotor mounts (new pictures are needed). Q/R, 100x12/15mm and 142x12mm compatible in any combination. Just tell me at checkout what you need. 6 bolt adapters made by Miche are available. The rear hub is supplied with a Shimano external spline lockring. Freehub bodies for Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed MTB or road, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed, and SRAM XD driver are available and are interchangeable with nothing more than possible bearing preload adjustment.
The freehub has a titanium core/pawl seat springs with an aluminium alloy main body. The freehub has 3 spring loaded pawls and a 30T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Slick or Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop water ingress weakening the spring.
Why BORG DX hubs? Well, I have had Miche make these in 24H, 28H, and 32H drillings. They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The bearings are not the normal ISO grade 0 or ABEC-5 that you find in many hubs even high-end ones. SKF supply the bearings for the BORG DX hub but these bearings have much tighter tolerances on the outer and inner diameters, the balls are to a much higher standard, even the grease is a special formulation. All this is designed to increase bearing longevity particular in wet weather operation. To get the longest life, pressure washing the hubs should be avoided and the cassette should be cleaned removed from the hub. The front hub has 2x 6803 bearings and the rear hub has 1x 6803 non-drive side and 2x 6803 drive side. The freehub body has 2x 6803 bearing. The same high-grade bearings are used throughout the hub. All spares down to the ratchet ring are available. Simply I have had these hubs made without compromise.
The rim is 435g in weight and is 19mm wide internally 24mm external width. It is 22mm deep and is tubeless ready (tubeless rim tape is installed on every wheelset). Normal clinchers can be run of course. The rim is an offset for the front and rear design which means improved spoke tension balance. This one trick to extend spoke life.
The spoke and nipples are the last trick. Black Sapim Force triple butted 2.0/1.8/2.2mm (at the elbow where it matters) give long service life. The elbow being 2.2mm in diameter has 21% more cross-sectional area than a Sapim race or DT Swiss Competition spokes. What is not to like about that? The nipples used are silver Sapim brass nipples.
So, in short, this wheelset uses all the tricks I know to create a stiff reasonably light but robust wheelset that will give you smiles for miles. I deploy all the tricks as tubeless tyres compress tubeless compatible rims (tight fitting standard clinchers do too) and this cause a significant tension drop that must be accounted for when building the wheel. I cannot raise the tension as some tyres cause a bigger drop than others. So tricks to improve tension balance and extend spoke life are a better way of creating a reliable wheel for all riders regardless of the tyres they choose to fit.
What you get
- 32F/32R wheelset with black triple butted spokes and brass nipples
- Q/R or 142x12mm/100x12/15mm in any combination
- Silver brass tubeless valves and tubeless tape is supplied.
- IRC tubeless tyre levers
- 5 year or 10,000 miles guarantee against spoke failure (anything reasonable covered too). The rims won't wear out so I can't do a guarantee for the life of the rim that might be a very long time.
See my notes on how to avoid freehub body notching.
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too, and if you buy tyres of this shop I will fit them and set them up with Maxalami Sealant. Please note if you buy tubed tyres buy tubes also. Below are links to the tubeless tyres and IRC tubed tyres stocked.
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite Pro Dry clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with tinner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
Other thing to buy with this wheelset
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-2 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used.
- Rims are sent by courier only cost £10. Next working day service with Parcel Force. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by Parcel Force.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service. a surcharge
Due to the disruption in postal service, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with UPS/Parcelfocre shipping, weight and destination affect price. So the following applies.
UPS is apply a £5 surcharge to all parcel picked up from 1st November to 1st January. This cost is passed onto you.
E.U countries that I ship to regularly.
Parcel Force shipping is used for a number of European countries. The price is the same for up 25kg. There is not a small parcel rate with Parcel Force. If your country is one of those then checkout is simple.Just checkout and pay. Parcel force offer a road freight service to most of Europe and it takes 2 to 5 days depending on the destination. UPS is also available on request.
Other E.U nations/outside EU customers a will see UPS rates.
However if the rate maybe wrong and the UPS rates assume a small E2 jiffy bag suitable for many small items. This if course does not apply for bigger items or multiples purchases. Quotes are available. Simply registering the website with you address e.t.c and I will provide full quote.
Therefore contact the shop for a shipping quote. Your registered shipping address will used for the UPS quote.
VAT will be removed as well and a new invoice issued. If payment has already been made a refund for excess payment will be issued.
For outside E.U customers the following applies. The order value is with VAT. VAT is 20% so order total for the parts/6 = VAT amount.
Then add the UPS shipping amount. The true amount may differ. the VAT is used if you have under paid if more is due then we will let you know. If you have over paid I will work out what and refund you.