The BORG22 DISC brake wheelset is built in Suffolk. Based around a rim from Kinlin and BORG hubs. These wheels are more than suitable for CX/gravel use too. There is a dynamo option with the SON 28 hub. The hub will be the centrelock variant and is avilable in Q/R or 100x12mm form.
This is the touring/bike packing version. The hubs are rated to hold 330Nm of torque so they can handle 250W E-bikes too. The spoke and nipple choice ensure long life.
Pictured is TA front and QR rear. If the axle combo you want is not listed just ask.
The wheels can be built for the Cannondale 6mm offset rear used in one of there CX bikes.
For those what want dynamo power the Son 28 centrelock disc brake hub is available as well in QR, 100x12 or 100x15mm format.
- Centrelock BORG hubs with Son Dynamo hub option
- 24mm wide tubeless ready wheelset (tubed tyre compatible also).
- 32 spoke count.
- Thru axle and Q/R compatibiliaty
- 100*12/100*15/142*12mm or 100/135mm QR compatible.
- Shimano 8/9/10/11speed, XDR 12 speed driver, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehub or Campagnolo N3W 13 speed freehub.
- Sapim triple butted black spokes and brass nipples.
- Hand built in the shop.
- 10,000mile/16,000km warranty against spoke failure and other fatigue failure's.
- Centrelock disc brake mounts.6 bolt adapter available here.
- for 15mm axled hubs must be used. Centre
- Let me know which axle standard combination
- Son 28 dynamo hub option for all your lighting and charging needs.
Please state at checkout state if you require 100*12/142*12mm for Cannondale 6mm offset bikes.
The hubs used are BORG Wheels with centrelock rotor mounts
6 bolt adapters made by Miche are available.
Freehub bodies for
- Shimano 8/9/10/11speed
- XDR 12 speed driver
- Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehub
- Campagnolo N3W 13 speed freehub.
are available and are interchangeable.
The freehub has 4 independently spring loaded pawls and a 36T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop water ingress weakening the spring.
They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The front hub has 2x NTN 6902 LLB bearings and the rear hub has 2x NTN 6902 LLB. The freehub body has 1x NTN 6902 LLB and 1x NTN 6802 LLB for shimano and 1x 2x 6803 bearing for Campagnolo, XDR and N3W freehubs . All spares are available.
The rim is 435g in weight and is 19mm wide internally 24mm external width. It is 22mm deep and is tubeless ready (tubeless rim tape is installed on every wheelset). Normal clinchers can be run of course. The rim is an offset for the front and rear design which means improved spoke tension balance. This one trick to extend spoke life.
The spoke and nipples are the last trick. Black Sapim Force triple butted 2.0/1.8/2.2mm (at the elbow where it matters) give long service life. The elbow being 2.2mm in diameter has 21% more cross-sectional area than a Sapim race or DT Swiss Competition spokes. What is not to like about that? The nipples used are silver Sapim brass nipples.
So, in short, this wheelset uses all the tricks I know to create a stiff reasonably light but robust wheelset that will give you smiles for miles. I deploy all the tricks as tubeless tyres compress tubeless compatible rims (tight fitting standard clinchers do too) and this cause a significant tension drop that must be accounted for when building the wheel. I cannot raise the tension as some tyres cause a bigger drop than others. So tricks to improve tension balance and extend spoke life are a better way of creating a reliable wheel for all riders regardless of the tyres they choose to fit.
What you get
- 32F/32R wheelset with black triple butted spokes and brass nipples
- Q/R or 142x12mm/100x12/15mm in any combination
- Silver brass tubeless valves and tubeless tape is supplied.
See my notes on how to avoid freehub body notching.
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too, and if you buy tyres of this shop I will fit them and set them up with Maxalami Sealant. Please note if you buy tubed tyres buy tubes also. Below are links to the tubeless tyres and IRC tubed tyres stocked.
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite RBCC clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with inner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
Veloflex Corsa Race TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
Other thing to buy with this wheelset
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-7 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery. in the case of the items recorded as delivered but you claim non delivery or delivery attempted but parcel never available for collection no refund or replacement goods are possible. R24 is not a tracked or insured service. We are only liable if delivery never happens. We wait 30 days before declaring am item lost. If this is not acceptable to you then pay for Special Delivery which is tracked and insured. We are not longer taking the hit for lost items because you want to spend less on postage.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used. This is fully insured service so in the event of non delivery a claim is possible.
- Rims are sent by courier only- cost £10. UPS is used. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by UPS.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service.
Due to the disruption in postal services during 2020, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with Royal Mail Internation al Tracked and Signed (europe only) and UPS or Parcel Force tracked services. Parcel mass and destination affect price. So the following applies. I do not offer cheaper slower mail services anymore. Please don't ask as it means you have not read this page. There is no circumstance where i will use a cheaper service.
The website will provide shipping rates at checkout.
The import charges you will face are and these will be levied by the shipping carrier or by your customs authority in advance of delivery. Customs clearance will add to shipping times.
You will be billed for
Import duties which are set by the tarrif code we declare. Tarrif rates are normally published on government websites. "Free trade agreements" affect this and for EU customers there are no duties as tarrifs are set at zero for goods like our wheels that originate in the U.K. Goods that originate in the E.U and are exported back yo the E.U attract tarriffs. Good made outside the e.u and sold into the E.U attract tarrifs. The declared value in GDP will be converted to your countries currency by the monthly rate published by your tax authority.
Customs clearance fees -these vary from country to country and also vary by declared value in some juristictions.
VAT or sales taxes and applied to the total of the declared value of goods, customs clearance charges and import duties.
This shop declares the total paid for the goods for customs value, no exceptions. We will not declare low values as thats fraud and we will not be party to it.