The BORG31 rim brake wheelset uses an alloy rim that tubeless ready (tape, valves and tubeless tyre lever supplied) 31mm deep and 24mm wide. Its a stiff rim. The wheelset has 20 spokes for the front wheel and 24 for the rear but the rear wheel is laced in a 2:1 pattern. Tubed tyres can of course be used.
- 31mm deep 24mm wide tubeless ready wheelset
- 2:1 lacing for the rear hub
- Sapim aero spokes
- Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed or SRAM XDR 12 speed compatible.
- Japanese NTN bearings
- 36 points of engagement and a 4 pawl independantly sprung freehub design.
- Handbuilt in the shop
- Weight 1630g for a pair bare
2:1 Lacing improve tension balance, wheel reponsiveness to drive imputs and reduces flex at the brake pads. All the tricks are used to make this a reliable but fast and fun wheelset to ride on. The rear wheel lacing pattern makes this wheel particularly stiff with a reduced tendency to rub brakes compared with other wheels using rim of a similar depth. It also makes it quite responsive.
The hub is a BORG Wheels creation. The front hub has 2x 61901 NTN bearings running on a 12mm alloy axle.
The front wheel is laced radially with Sapim CX rays (black) and black alloy nipples. Sapim HM nipple washers and nipple freeze are used to ensure rim and nipple longevity.
The rear 24H wheel is laced 3x drive side and radial non drive side in a 16:8 pattern. Sapim CX force triple butted aero spokes are used along with Sapim black alloy nipples with Sapim HM nipples washer and nipple freeze to ensure the longevity of the wheel.
2:1 lacing offers the rider less brake rub and a stiffer rear wheel due to the optimised geometry and longer spoke life. Pads are still recommended to be 1.5m. to 2mm from the rim for maximum mechanical leverage.
Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, SRAM XDR 12 speed Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehubs available. The hubs use NTN 6901 bearing for the front wheel and NTN 6902 bearing in the rear hub shell. The Shimano freehub has NTN 6902/6802 bearings and the XDR and Campagnolo freehub have 6802 bearings.
The hub uses a large 36T ratchet ring. The freehub has 4 independently sprung pawls. Its loud. I like that and it's also a sign of strong pawl springs, lots of pawls and teeth, this a is a good thing.
NTN is a top tier bearing manufacturer and there bearings are made to very tight tolerances.
The NTN bearings are offered with contacting LLU (red) or non contacting LLB (black) seals. The contacting seals offer better weather sealing but higher drag than the non contacting seals. Contacting seals loose much of there contact with the bearing above 5 mph. Non contacting seals loose contact and hense let more water and grit in. So expect significantly longer bearing life from the bearings with contacting seals. The non contacting seal bearing are fine though and the type of seal commonly found from other cycle bearings. I use the contacting seals in my personal set. There is almost no difference in drag on the road. It may be worth a few seconds on a 25 mile TT. Thats the order of the difference.
All the Campagnolo freehubs offered are 9/10/11/12 speed compatible. All the Shimano freehubs offered are 8/9/10/11 speed compatible and they come with a spacer for 8/9/10 speed cassettes (although an additional 1mm spacer supplied with a 10 speed cassette is needed too).
The XDR freehub is for SRAM AXS 12 speed cassettes.
The BORG31 2:1 wheelset is supplied as wheels tubeless ready but are tubed tyre comptibale.
Front OLD is 100mm and rear OLD is 130mm.
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too. If you buy tubeless tyres of this shop I will fit them and set them up with Maxalami Sealant. Please note if you buy tubed tyres buy tubes also. Below are links to the tubeless tyres and IRC tubed tyres stocked.
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite RBCC clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with inner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
Veloflex Corsa Race TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
Wheelset weight is 1630g but dont be fooled into thinking this will make it feel heavy. There more than one way for a wheel to feel light. Making it responsive to torque inputs is one way and the other is to make it so the wheel deflects little under high loads.
Other things to buy if using tubeless tyres
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-7 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery. in the case of the items recorded as delivered but you claim non delivery or delivery attempted but parcel never available for collection no refund or replacement goods are possible. R24 is not a tracked or insured service. We are only liable if delivery never happens. We wait 30 days before declaring am item lost. If this is not acceptable to you then pay for Special Delivery which is tracked and insured. We are not longer taking the hit for lost items because you want to spend less on postage.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used. This is fully insured service so in the event of non delivery a claim is possible.
- Rims are sent by courier only- cost £10. UPS is used. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by UPS.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service.
Due to the disruption in postal services during 2020, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with Royal Mail Internation al Tracked and Signed (europe only) and UPS or Parcel Force tracked services. Parcel mass and destination affect price. So the following applies. I do not offer cheaper slower mail services anymore. Please don't ask as it means you have not read this page. There is no circumstance where i will use a cheaper service.
The website will provide shipping rates at checkout.
The import charges you will face are and these will be levied by the shipping carrier or by your customs authority in advance of delivery. Customs clearance will add to shipping times.
You will be billed for
Import duties which are set by the tarrif code we declare. Tarrif rates are normally published on government websites. "Free trade agreements" affect this and for EU customers there are no duties as tarrifs are set at zero for goods like our wheels that originate in the U.K. Goods that originate in the E.U and are exported back yo the E.U attract tarriffs. Good made outside the e.u and sold into the E.U attract tarrifs. The declared value in GDP will be converted to your countries currency by the monthly rate published by your tax authority.
Customs clearance fees -these vary from country to country and also vary by declared value in some juristictions.
VAT or sales taxes and applied to the total of the declared value of goods, customs clearance charges and import duties.
This shop declares the total paid for the goods for customs value, no exceptions. We will not declare low values as thats fraud and we will not be party to it.
A word of warning once an parcel has been shipped any import charges are your reponsibility. Refusal to pay these charges to the parcel carrier mean you loose the right to an automatic refund. We refund at our discretion minus any charges we are levied by the parcel carrier. These charges cannot be disputed by us. We also reserve the right to apply a 10% restocking fee on top of any charges applied to us for the return of the parcel. Therefore once shipped charges must be paid. We can accept no liability if the parcel is lost after charges have been refused to be paid.