Please note new rims have arrived meaning the wheels are lighter than previous reviews indicate.
The BORG45 Disc wheelset is reliable aerodynamic wheelset which will allow you to ride a bit quicker for the same effort. Drag reduction comes from the depth of the rim but also the width keeping the tyre width around the width of the rim.
In addition the profile of the rims and the rim tyre interface results in stable handling in windy condtions. Well as stable as you would be on shallow rimmed wheels.
The rims are 26mm wide (19mm internal width) 45mm deep disc brake specific wheelset for real tyre widths of a minimum of 25mm. IRC Formula Pro RBCC or X-Guard 25mm are suggested as these sit at 25mm on these rims. The 28mm tyres are again 28mm wide. So tyres that sit 25mm to 28mm wide are aerodymanically optimal for this rim. Max suggested max tyre width is in the region of 40mm width.
Wider rims are not currently offered as these are meant for wider tyres. For example a rims that are 21mm internal width are meant for 32mm tyres or wider (ideally wider). Narrower is aerodynamically faster no matter how you try and contort physics.
These are light, stiff, aerodynamic wheels that got a best value award in Cycling Weekly. The wheels are hand built in Suffolk, U.K. These wheels are built with specially selected parts for high miles and to help you ride faster too.
The wheels can be built for the Cannondale 6mm offset.
They are very stiff and therefore feel responsive and spoke life will be very long.
The rims have the ideal profile for making them very stable in cross winds, and your tyres will have an optimal shape.
- 26.2mm max width
- 45mm deep
- 19mm internal mm internal width
- Aerodynamic profile
- Sapim CX-ray spokes
- Shimano 8/9/10/11speed, XDR 12 speed driver, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehub or Campagnolo N3W 13 speed freehub.
- 700c/622mm wheel size
- 100/135mm Q/R or 100x12/15mm/142x12mm TA
- Tubeless ready (tubed clincher tyre compatible also).
- 24F/24R spoke count
- BORG DX hubs or Carbon Ti X-hub (centrelock)
- Weight 1430g (carbon Ti hubs) 1540g (BORG DX hubs)
- 10000 mile (16000km) or 5 year guarantee against spoke/nipple failure.
- Centrelock rotor compatibility.
- Centrelock disc brake mounts.
- 6 bolt adapter available here.
- Lockring for 15mm axled hubs must be used. Centrelock rotor lockring available here.
- Hand built in the shop
Let me know which axle standard combination you need at checkout.
Please state at checkout if 100*12/142*12mm for Cannondale (Ai) 6mm offset bikes is required.
The wheels will stand up to road, CX or gravel use.
Spoke count is 24 front and rear.
Pillar Wing 20 spokes in black are used with black alloy nipples hubs. Silver spokes and silver nipples can be used with the Carbon Ti coloured hubs. Pillar Wing 20 spokes are actually a wee bit more aero and a stiffer than the Sapim CX rays we used to use. Same weight though. it is also a triple butted spoke which improve spoke life at the hub flange.
There are two hubsets available.
1) BORG Wheels with centrelock rotor mounts:
Freehub bodies for
- Shimano 8/9/10/11speed
- XDR 12 speed driver
- Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed freehub
- Campagnolo N3W 13 speed freehub.
are available and are interchangeable.
The freehub has 4 independently spring loaded pawls and a 36T ratchet ring. It is advisable to re-grease the freehub mechanism with good grease like Rock n Roll Super Web to keep the hub quiet and to stop water ingress weakening the spring.
They are a large flange design because large flange hub reduces the braking loads on the spokes compared to small flange designs. The front hub has 2x NTN 6902 LLB bearings and the rear hub has 2x NTN 6902 LLB. The freehub body has 1x NTN 6902 LLB and 1x NTN 6802 LLB for shimano and 1x 2x 6803 bearing for Campagnolo, XDR and N3W freehubs . All spares are available.
2) Carbon Ti disc brake hubs for centrelock rotors. Available in a choice of colours. Black, red, blue, green, gold or silver. Black hubs will be assumed unless you tell me otherwise. The hubs are available 4 pawl freehubs. Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11 speed or SRAM XD 11/12 speed.
The hubs are 100x12mm 142x12mm TA frames only. No conversion kits are available. Carbon Ti thru axles are available as well. Let me know which axle standard you need and I will convert.
Simply high end wheels without the high-end price tag (nearly).
The weight of the 45mm deep wheels with Miche hubs 1540g
The weight of the 45mm deep wheels with Carbon Ti hubs 1430g
The Cycle Clinic is a stockist/importer of IRC tubeless and clincher (tubed) tyres. You can opt for any IRC tyres to be fitted to your wheels. Other brands are stocked too, and if you buy tyres of this shop I will fit them and set them up with Maxalami Sealant. Please note if you buy tubed tyres buy tubes also. Below are links to the tubeless tyres and IRC tubed tyres stocked.
Continental GP5000TL 25mm, 28mm or 32mm
IRC Aspite RBCC clincher 24mm or 26mm (for use with inner tubes)
IRC Roadlite X guard 25 mm tyres (for use with tubes).
IRC Jetty 23mm, 25mm or 28mm (for use with inner tubes)
Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
Veloflex Corsa Race TLR Orange seal will be used for cotton casing tubeless tyres
If you buy any tyre (with tubes if applicable) I will fit them for you to your wheels.
The wheels are supplied tubeless ready too with tape, valves and IRC tyre levers. tubed tyres can be used as well.
You see why I have not put tyres into the listing. If tyres are bought I will fit them although you will need to buy the tubes with clinchers.
A review from cycling. You'll like them too.
What you get:
- 24F/24R spoke count wheelset
- out of the box 100x12/15mm/1412x12mm compatability
- Q/R compatibility on request
- Tubeless tyre ready (tape black tubeless valves)
- Shimano, Campagnolo, EKAR or XD driver
- 10,000 mile/16000km guarantee against spoke failures and other fatigue failures.
See my notes on how to avoid freehub body notching
If the rim cracks (spoke holes) then that is a warranty (none have yet)
If a spoke breaks without external damage as a cause or the wheel goes out of true then that is a warranty.
If a fault with the hub appears that is is not normal wear then that is a warranty.
Things to buy
COVID 19 update. Overseas shipping is now with a courier only. UPS or Parcel force.
Orders placed in the afternoon normally get sent the next workday where possible. Orders placed before noon are often sent the same day but this is not guaranteed. Priority is given to Royal Mail Special delivery items always.
Same day disptach is not guaranteed due to volume of mail order. In general we are not operating with big delays in dispatch if any.
- Standard shipping is with Royal Mail using there 24 service. Cost £3. This is not a guaranteed service and takes 1-7 days normally but can be longer. The tracking number is not tracking but is a conformation of delivery code. If the item has been delivered to you or a neighbour then the tracking shows something otherwise it won't. If the item is needed urgently then pay for the courier/special delivery. in the case of the items recorded as delivered but you claim non delivery or delivery attempted but parcel never available for collection no refund or replacement goods are possible. R24 is not a tracked or insured service. We are only liable if delivery never happens. We wait 30 days before declaring am item lost. If this is not acceptable to you then pay for Special Delivery which is tracked and insured. We are not longer taking the hit for lost items because you want to spend less on postage.
- For a £7 surcharge, a next day (not sunday) tracked service (from dispatch) with Royal mail special delivery is used. You get an hour delivery slot by text. It's a fine service and worth the money. This only works for items up to 2kg. beyond that it gets very expensive and Parcel Force 24 tracked is used. This is fully insured service so in the event of non delivery a claim is possible.
- Rims are sent by courier only- cost £10. UPS is used. A phone number and email address must be supplied to allow me to book in. This service can also be picked for smaller items that you want delivered by UPS.
- Wheels shipping cost is £15 (cost of courier + cost of the box) next day. To NI, Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and that is a two day service.
Due to the disruption in postal services during 2020, misdeliveries, customs issues and long delays all overseas shipping is now with Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed (europe only) and UPS or Parcel Force tracked services. Parcel mass and destination affect price. So the following applies. I do not offer cheaper slower mail services anymore.
The website will provide shipping rates at checkout.
The import charges you will face are and these will be levied by the shipping carrier or by your customs authority in advance of delivery. Customs clearance will add to shipping times.
You will be billed for
Import duties which are set by the tarrif code we declare. Tarrif rates are normally published on government websites. "Free trade agreements" affect this and for EU customers there are no duties as tarrifs are set at zero for goods like our wheels that originate in the U.K. Goods that originate in the E.U and are exported back yo the E.U attract tarriffs. Good made outside the e.u and sold into the E.U attract tarrifs. The declared value in GDP will be converted to your countries currency by the monthly rate published by your tax authority.
Customs clearance fees -these vary from country to country and also vary by declared value in some juristictions.
VAT or sales taxes and applied to the total of the declared value of goods, customs clearance charges and import duties.
This shop declares the total paid for the goods for customs value, no exceptions. We will not declare low values as thats fraud and we will not be party to it.
A word of warning once an parcel has been shipped any import charges are your reponsibility. Refusal to pay these charges to the parcel carrier mean you loose the right to an automatic refund. We refund at our discretion minus any charges we are levied by the parcel carrier. These charges cannot be disputed by us. We also reserve the right to apply a 10% restocking fee on top of any charges applied to us for the return of the parcel. Therefore once shipped charges must be paid. We can accept no liability if the parcel is lost after charges have been refused to be paid.